And tell ya what, I was pleasantly surprised with these little suckers. Although they're not the sweetest of scones, they definitely hold their own and nicely compliment my morning coffee. What I found best about it, was that it was so easy to make, and in 20 minutes, the whole thing was done. What does this mean?! It means you can make it before you go to work in the morning and eat them while they're fresh! So totally awesome!!
Cinnamon Cranberry Scones
Yields: 10 to 12 scones, depending on how you cut the dough
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 TBS cinnamon
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup buttermilk (again I made my own, take milk and add either vinegar or lemon juice, et voila! You have buttermilk)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. While you wait for the oven to preheat, combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, and cut in the butter, until the mixture is crumbly in appearance.
3. In a separate bowl, add the eggs, buttermilk and cranberries.
4. On a floured surface, knead dough about 10 times or until nearly smooth. Roll the dough until about 1/2 inch thick.
5. Cut dough into 10 or 12 wedges, depending upon the desired size.
4. Place dough wedges 1 inch apart on an baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the edges appear to be lightly browned.