Pin It Now! There is nothing more disappointing than to take a bite of a beautifully sculpted crab cake to find that it contains hardly any crab! And worst of all, it is mostly comprised of a filler, and (if it gets any worse) the filler is breadcrumbs. Instant. Belly. Poofage.
It almost makes you want to unloosen your belt just thinking about it.
This is the best time of year. It's full of parties. And pies. And cookies. And eggnog. Before you know it, the pounds creep up and your pants no longer fit. Do yourself a favor and give yourself (and your belt) a break in between the parties by making these breadless crab cakes for dinner tonight.
For my dinner, I skipped the traditional mayonnaisey tartar sauce usually served with crab cakes and topped these suckers with a creamy avocado sauce.
Holy potatoes!!!. It was yum central.
No Bread Crab Cakes with Avocado Sauce
Yields: 4 servings
Ingredients for Crab Cakes:
1 pound lump crab meat
1/4 cup garbanzo beans/ chickpeas, mashed in a food processor
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 TBS Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 egg whites
Salt and pepper
Ingredients for Avocado Sauce:
1 avocado, pit removed, and scooped out from skin
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions for Crab Cakes:
1. In a saute pan over medium, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and peppers, cooking until softened (About 3 minutes).
2. Add together all of the ingredients (including cooked vegetables) in a medium sized bowl, using a fork until well combined.
3. Cover and place into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes has passed, make patties using 3/4 cup of the refrigerated crab mixture.
5. Heat oil in a saute pan over medium, add each patty, cooking 4 to 5 minutes on the first side, flip and cook 3 to 4 minutes on the other.
6. Place on paper towels to remove excess oil.
Directions for Avocado Sauce:
1. In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients.
2. Yup. It's that easy- done one step. And done by modern machinery. But I want to make you feel as if you accomplished more, therefore, I will say for the second step to pat yourself on the back.