As I was driving home last night along the winding, yet picturesque Kelly Drive, Winter Wonderland came on the radio. I was singing along, and found myself reminiscing, as I remembered how I misunderstood the lyrics to that song as a little kid..
"...Later on, we'll perspire,
As we dream by the fire
To face unafraid,
The plans that we've made,
Walking in a winter wonderland."
It completely makes sense within my mind.. If I were sitting by the fire canoodling with my husband, there is a 100% chance I'd be sweating and it wouldn't be pretty sight. In fact, we'd both be sweating. Not something you'd picture for a romantic setting.
I guess this confusion runs in the family. As a little girl, my mother also misunderstood the lyrics to We Wish You A Merry Christmas:
"Oh, bring us a piggy pudding;
Oh, bring us a piggy pudding;
Oh, bring us a piggy pudding and a cup of good cheer."
(Sorry, Ma! It's too cute, I had to!)
Piggy pudding might be a questionable item. Unless it were in the form of a bread pudding, not a sweet pudding, with- say- bacon or pork roll, then I'd be all over that like wiz on a cheesesteak.
Don't ya just love Christmas?
Peppermint Straciatella Gelato
Yields: 6 to 8 Servings
2 cups whole milk
5 large egg yolks
2 TBS pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
2 tsp canola oil
½ tsp kosher salt
10 peppermints, crushed
1. In a medium sized bowl, combine egg, sugar, and salt. Stirring until well combined.
2. Heat milk and vanilla in saucepan over medium. Bring to a light simmer. Reduce heat to low.
3. SLOWLY add the egg mixture to the milk (don’t add it too quickly unless you want scrambled eggs!) and make sure to not like the milk boil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until a candy thermometer reaches 170 degrees. Voila! You have your custard base!!!
4. Remove from heat and add cream. Refrigerate overnight.
5. In a microwavable bowl, combine chocolate and oil. Melt the chocolate and set aside.
6. Using an ice cream machine, add the custard mixture, and crushed peppermints. Process for approximately 25 minutes.
7. After 25 minutes, pour in the melted chocolate mixture and process for another minute.
8. Serve immediately and ENJOY!