Food is fascinating, don't you think?
One foodstuff that I adore is quinoa, but it does not get much love.
Quinoa. Sounds like. Keen-wahh.
When I mention quinoa to people, most have no clue what it is and a great majority of people look at me sideways when I mention that it is the main staple of my diet.
Sure, it sounds like a word used by ninjas as they karate chop you. But, it is so much more.
Quinoa is amazingly good for you. I mean, we're talking crazy good for you. The stats on quinoa:
1. Protein content: 1 cup of quinoa = 4 eggs. Oh, and it's a complete protein, which means it contains all nine amino acids.
2. Mineral content: 1 cup of quinoa = 1/2 recommended daily value of iron, maganese, and magnesium.
3. Low in love-handle-making calories and fat
4. Fiber: 1 cup of quinoa = about 1/2 recommended daily value of fiber.
5. Oh, and it's good for your heart. And helps people who have chronic migranes.
Seriously. I cannot say enough about quinoa.
Oh, and #6: NASA loves it and recommends its astronauts consume it during long flights, as it is the nature's most "perfect" food. Seriously? NASA?! ....Those guys are smart.
Convinced to try it, yet?
Okay, so now that you know more than you could have ever wanted to know about quinoa, a food you may have never even tasted, the question still lingers within your mind as to what the heck this tastes like! It tastes goooood. :)
It is similar to a grain and should be treated as such. (It's technically related to spinach, I know, they're odd cousins).
I eat it for breakfast, I have it with my lunch, and, oh yeah, I eat it with dinner too.
Boy, do I love me some quinoa.
Here is one of my go-to breakfasts. Try it instead of your normal oatmeal routine! You will be pleasantly surprised at how full you will stay.
Quinoa Breakfast Cereal
Yields: 4 servings
1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups milk: cow's, rice, almond, or soy
1 gala apple, diced
1 banana, diced
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup pecans
1. Combine the quinoa and milk in a medium saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all of the liquid is absorbed.
3. Add the fruit.
4. Serve immediately!
380 calories / 14g fat / 9g protein